Thursday, May 26, 2005

Random musings

'Be' Cover

1. I've been listening to Common's new album 'Be' almost exclusively since it was released on Tuesday. In my opinion its an early candidate for album of the year. Granted, at 11 tracks its not the longest CD you'll ever hear but every track is quality. From what I hear its also shaping up to be his highest selling album to date. I'm really happy for him, Especially after the violently negative reception his last album 'Electric Circus' received. Personally I liked Electric Circus, still do. The exploratory nature of its production really turned people off though, unfortunately. Ironically, most of the same people loved Andre 3000's 'The Love Below'. I can't explain it.


2. Has everyone else heard R.Kelly's latest multi-part auditory abortion? Otherwise known as 'In the Closet parts 1-3' these songs are so horrifically bad it feels like one of those really bad science fiction movies that were the staple of 'Mystery Science Theater 3000'. Its so incredibly horrible that you find yourself watching it in amazement that an actual thinking person came up with this and had the bravery to release it. From the generally positive reaction that this, and other crappy R-Kelly songs have received, I believe that he should consider giving up his singing career (well, that he should do anyway for the sake of humanity) and become a cult leader. If he can convince people that putting bad soap opera scripts to music is an act of genius, what else can he get them to do? Honestly I wish I had that gift. I'd use it to put together a harem.


3. Two of my favorite TV shows are not being renewed. The Sly Stallone reality boxing show 'The Contender' and UPN first decent prime time drama 'Kevin Hill'. For those of you who missed both if these, you missed out. Especially The Contender, which, along with Spike TV's 'The Ultimate Fighter' actually made me regularly watch reality TV. At least 'The 4400' is coming back. For those of you who haven't seen it, think 'Lost' but better.

No comments: