Thursday, January 13, 2005

Current training regimen

My current daily training regimen is my return to being a dedicated, slightly obsessive martial arts student. I figure that by putting it up here, I'll be a little bit more motivated to see it through.

For at least the first three months, I will be taking the advice I have received from all of my teachers and going back to basics. That means lots of stance work and single movement drills. Right now, its split up into two onw hour sessions. One in the morning and one at night

Morning: 7-8 am

I start by warming up. Usually with 40-50 jumping jacks. These are followed by a series of joint rotations. From there, immediate transition into stance work. There are a series of seven stances that are basics in the style of northern mantis I practise. I hold each one for ten breaths on each side. Every week an additional breath is added. Usually by the time I'm done with I'm warmed up enough for about 10-15 minutes of stretching. The primary focus of the stretches are my hips, back and legs. The rest of the time goes to mantis single movement drills.


Night: midnight-1am

This time is reserved for my dachengquan practise. Currently I am managing 35 minutes if standing meditation. Every week, I add on an additional 5 minutes. The rest of the time goes to movement drills


After 3 months, I'll look at how far I've come and see if any changes need to be made.

Wish me luck

No comments: