Tuesday, January 04, 2005

These are our heroes


This Christmas I set out to buy my little 12 year old cousin a present. An image of a black superhero. Watching him grow up in America has made me more aware of how important it is to see people who look like you do extraordinary things. As anyone who is familiar with the world of comics knows, black heroes are few and far between. As a comic book fan myself, this is one of my biggest issues with the industry. Thankfully, I've put in a fair amount of time and energy over the years into finding science fiction and comics with black creators and well written black characters so, since he has the good taste to be a fan of 'Static Shock', I got him the trade paperback. He loved it and I felt great for getting him to read more while simultaneously finding him a black hero image.
Sidenote: According to Static's creator, Dwayne Mcduffie, the show folded because they were unable to get any merchandising deals for a critically acclaimed award winning children's cartoon with consistently high ratings. Would anyone care to venture a guess why? Posted by Hello

No comments: