Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Oscar observations

First off. Bravo to Morgan Freeman. The academy has owed that man an oscar for a looong time now. I'm glad to finally see him get it. I haven't seen 'Million Dollar Baby' yet, It just opened at the local cinema about a week ago. I'll try to catch a matinee this weekend.
Don Cheadle, on the other hand, is still waiting for his. My brother suspects that he'll become the next Morgan Freeman. A man with an absolutely impressive body of work but little recognition.
Jamie Foxx, The next $20 million black actor. A much as I would have preferred for Don to take the oscar, Jamie was remarkable in Ray. He deserved it.
Clint Eastwood is someone who I've followed since the beginning of his career. I still remember the first time I saw 'A Fistful of Dollars'. I actually have the Man With No Name trilogy on DVD. It was one of my first purchases when I got a DVD drive for my computer. He's one of those people whose growth and evolution makes you realize that aging is something to be embraced, not feared.
Finally, Martin Scorsese. The number of times the academy has managed to avoid giving him an oscar he might as well be black. At this point, they just need to hand him a statue on his next project regardless of how good it is. He could direct the ugly stepchild of 'Battlefield Earth' and 'Gigli' and they would still owe him an oscar.

Apparently some black people were upset about Chris Rock's Magic Johnson Theater skit because they felt it painted the average black moviegoer in a bad light. All I have to say is this. Considering the fact that someone in hollywood greenlighted 'Soul Plane' how much worse can it possibly get?

Sidenote: I need to look for a good indie theater. I lived within walking distance of one and a short drive of another when I was in Cleveland. $10 on a monday night would buy me a ticket, popcorn and a heineken. Good times.

No comments: